If you’re a Residential or Small Business Customer that currently pays Time-of-Use (TOU) Electricity Prices, you can now choose to switch to Tiered Prices
Here’s How To Do It:
To switch from TOU to Tiered prices, you must complete this form and send it to Greater Sudbury Hydro.Customer Choice Form
- If you wish to continue paying TOU prices for your electricity, NO ACTION IS REQUIRED, NO FORM IS NECESSARY.
- Forms may be submitted by email to email@example.com or by mail at 500 Regent Street, Box 250, Sudbury, ON, P3E 4P1.
- You will receive confirmation of your selection within 10 business days.
How To Decide Which Price Strategy is Best for your Household or Business:
- Customer Service staff cannot advise on which option to choose.
- Most of the information needed to make a decision is on the Electricity line of your bill.
- To view your consumption usage on MyAccount, sign in, or register here.
- To decide which option is best for you, take advantage of the calculator tool developed by the Ontario Energy Board and the FAQ information, below.
IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING TIMING OF SWITCH
(ONLY APPLICABLE IF YOU CHANGE FROM TOU TO TIERED)
Customers will not be able to switch from TOU to Tiered electricity pricing until they have a bill that includes all November usage. For example, if a bill has even one day of October usage, it is not eligible to switch until the next bill. You can complete the form and submit it now, but your bill will not change until all consumption reflected on it is later than November 1, 2020.
This rule is in accordance with section 3.5.4 of the OEB’s Standard Supply Service Code, which states that no election shall be applied to a billing period that begins before November 1, 2020.
- The choice between TOU and Tiered prices is available to nearly all residential and small business customers that have smart meters and are billed on TOU. Some residential and small business customers are charged Tiered prices because their meters can’t be used to bill TOU prices. They can’t switch to TOU prices at this time.
- If you live in a condominium or apartment that has its own individual meter and your bill comes from a company other than Greater Sudbury Hydro, you are a customer of a unit sub-meter provider (USMP). Customers of USMPs also can’t switch to Tiered prices. That decision can only be made for the building as a whole by the “master consumer,” who is the person that retained a USMP for the property. In most cases, the master consumer is the property manager, landlord or condominium board.
- Customers that are buying their electricity from an energy retailer pay the electricity price set out in their contract. Once they have left their retail contract, they will have a choice between paying TOU or Tiered prices. For details about your energy contract, contact your energy retailer. More information about energy retailers.
For more information about TOU and Tiered pricing, visit oeb.ca/choice.